The protests appear to have worked and the province is going to reverse their course on the revamped autism program that drew criticism earlier this year. Starting next year, Ontario will establish a “needs-based” program for autistic children in its place. Social Services Minister Todd Smith made the commitment while apologizing for the earlier version of the program, which based funding solely on age and family income. Smith says he’s been working to rebuild trust between the government and families of autistic children since taking over the file in a cabinet shuffle last month.
To read the media release from the Ontario government: CLICK HERE (You will be redirected)
The Ontario Association of Social Workers is applauding the government for moving forward on a needs-based approach. The provincial Liberals say Premier Doug Ford owes the parents of autistic children an apology for turning their lives upside down for six months. NDP children and youth critic Monique Taylor says the wait means children will have week after week of critical developmental potential stolen away while funding will remain at $600-million dollars.
Photo Credit: Government on Ontario
Our government is taking action to support families of children and youth with autism. We are committed to being open and transparent with families as we work together toward a needs-based Ontario Autism Program. https://t.co/BrjI3GjFoI pic.twitter.com/iY04F9j7aI
— Todd Smith (@ToddSmithPC) July 29, 2019
Today, the Government of Ontario has announced moving forward on a needs-based approach for the Ontario Autism Program. For OASW's statement on this announcement, please visit our recent news. https://t.co/FcGFFl4RL9
— OASW (@ON_SocialWork) July 29, 2019