Man Tried Instant Noodles That Were So Spicy He Almost Went Deaf For A Few Days

Man Tried Instant Noodles That Were So Spicy He Almost Went Deaf For A Few Days

A man who always believed he had a pretty good relationship with spice recently discovered his limit the hard way after trying a packet of Samyang Korean Spicy Noodles from Amazon.  Reemul Balla, a writer for MyLondon, shared his experience with the publication, telling how the snack caused him pain and claiming that he even temporarily lost his hearing in one ear.  He went on to call the dish “noodles of death” and warned others to try them at their own peril.  Writing for MyLondon, he said: “Coming from a Mauritian family, getting acquainted with spicy food early on in life is a rite of passage.  When I watched a video of famous YouTuber, Matt Stonie, devouring 15 packs of Samyang Korean Spicy Noodles (and struggling to hold down the heat), I had an insatiable urge to try them out for myself.  I bought a red pack of the 2x spicy hot chicken flavour off Amazon.  It was delicious and the flavor was deep and strong… but then the inferno hit me.  My teeth felt numb and my throat closed up as the lava trickled down into my stomach.”

Not wanting to give up after just one mouthful, Reemul kept on eating.  However, he only managed to consume half the bowl and was left feeling pretty disappointed with himself.  “My body felt numb, especially my fingers.  My insides were hot as was my face. I was fanning myself down with my hands at one point,” he explained.  “The next day I felt a sharp pain in my left ear whenever I touched it, which worsened as the day went on. By evening it was hurting so much that I felt I’d contracted an ear infection.  It hurt when I opened my jaw and my hearing from that side had become impaired, so I applied a couple of drops of olive oil to hopefully alleviate the block and pain.  Over the weekend I still couldn’t hear well out of my left ear and some ringing had started.”  He Googled his symptoms and found a video blogger had experienced something similar after eating killer spicy noodles from Indonesia.  It turns out, the chilli had loosened up the mucous membranes in his nose and throat and blocked his Eustachian tubes, creating the sensation of not being able to hear properly.  The pain went away after three days and his hearing began to return to normal, but by that point the lesson had been learned.  “I definitely know my limit now,” he added.

Photo Credit: MyLondon

 

After 9 Podcast - 91.5 The Beat