More Vaccine Delays Mean Some Clinics Will Stay Closed Until Monday – Full COVID-19 Update

More Vaccine Delays Mean Some Clinics Will Stay Closed Until Monday – Full COVID-19 Update

Premier Ford says a thrice-delayed shipment of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine is to blame for the shutdown of some immunization clinics in Toronto. Ford says the province can’t plan properly if doesn’t know when vaccines are coming through the production lines. The Scarborough Health Network had closed two clinics but says they will re-open when a new shipment of vaccines arrives on Monday. The University Health Network has put registrations on hold for appointments by adults over age 18 who qualify for vaccination based on their postal code.

Vaccination Update:

More than 20 per cent of Canadians have received at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccine so far as the inoculation drive continues amid the virus’s third wave. About 298,000 vaccines were administered yesterday, making for nearly a million doses given in the last three days and nearly 8.9-million to date. Ontario has administered nearly 3.5-million vaccines so far, but its inoculation efforts hit a snag yesterday when some hospital-run immunization clinics in Toronto ran out of shots and had to close their doors or cancel appointments. Premier Doug Ford blamed the vaccine shortage on a thrice-delayed shipment of the Moderna vaccine, which the hospital networks get directly from the province. City-run mass immunization clinics don’t have the same supply issues because they are getting vaccines, primarily Pfizer-BioNTech shots, distributed by the city.

Health Canada Stays the Course on AstraZeneca:

Health Canada is still recommending that Canadians get the Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID vaccine, despite very rare cases of blood clots. Chief medical adviser Dr. Supriya Sharma says the vaccine, along with others approved for use so far, is safe for anyone to take. The decision from Health Canada comes a day after Canada reported its first-ever case of a blood clot in a patient who received the AstraZeneca vaccine in Quebec. Scientists haven’t yet been able to explain how the vaccine may be causing the rare clots.

Ontario Schools are Getting Big Upgrades:

Ottawa and Ontario have announced $656.5-million dollars in funding to help schools make key infrastructure upgrades amid the pandemic. The majority of the funding will be used to support ventilation projects that improve air quality in classrooms across the province. Other projects include space reconfigurations to enhance physical distancing and investing in network and broadband infrastructure to support online learning. The federal government is providing $525.2-million dollars and Ontario is contributing more than $131-million to the projects.

Field Hospitals Preparing To Start Accepting Patients:

A field hospital at Toronto’s Sunnybrook Hospital is expected to start taking patients in the coming weeks. The Ontario government says it’s one of two such sites meant to help handle growing capacity issues in hospitals due to COVID-19. The province set new records this week with the number of patients hospitalized and in intensive care units because of the virus.

Toronto Shuts Down Access to the Cherry Blossoms:

Toronto is blocking access to a key springtime attraction — the cherry blossoms in High Park — due to COVID-19. The city says that part of the park will be fenced off when the trees bloom, which is expected to happen later this month. The rest of the park will remain open, however. A 24-hour livestream of the blossoms will be set up so that people can still see them. The city says that in a typical year, tens of thousands of people visit High Park to see the blooming trees.

Here is yesterday’s Toronto update:

Barrie Restaurant Has it’s Liquor License Suspended:

The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario is moving to suspend and revoke the liquor licence of a bar in Barrie. The interim suspension at the Simmering Kettle takes effect immediately. The commission says that it was advised a week ago that the restaurant remained open for dine-in service contrary to current provincial orders prohibiting indoor gatherings due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

New Study Finds COVID Is Having A Massive Impact on Kids’ Mental Health:

The Ontario Medical Association admits it’s troubled by findings about children’s mental health during the COVID-19 pandemic. The findings include a decline in social and emotional development, and an increase in emergency room visits from patients presenting with suicidal thoughts. Pediatrician Dr. Saba Merchant, a pediatrician in Vaughan, Ontario, says we’re seeing a time of social malnutrition for some children as they are starving from a lack of peer interaction. Merchant said she’s seen skyrocketing cases of anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts, compulsions and obesity during this past year.

Canadian Numbers:

There were nearly 8,600 new confirmed COVID-19 cases nationwide on Wednesday and 53 new reported deaths. Ontario again had the most new cases in the country with over 4,100 — the third time in four days the case counts topped 4,000. Next was Quebec at more than 1,500 new infections reported, followed by Alberta with over 1,400 and British Columbia had nearly 1,200 new cases. Meantime, one new COVID case was reported in Yukon, and one in Nunavut, with that territory confirming Wednesday night the first case in its largest community, Iqaluit. Nunavut’s chief public health officer says the only active case in the territory is isolating and doing well, but he did not say whether the person had travelled. This morning, all non-essential businesses, government offices and schools in Iqaluit must close and indoor gatherings are limited to a household plus five people.

Atlantic Canada:

While no new COVID cases were reported in Prince Edward Island yesterday, the other three Atlantic provinces had new infections. New Brunswick added 16 new cases, mostly in the hard-hit Edmundston area, which has been in full lockdown since the weekend. Newfoundland and Labrador recorded three more infections — all related to travel. Nova Scotia reported two new infections.

Ontario Numbers:

There were 4,156 new cases of COVID-19 in Ontario yesterday and 28 more deaths related to the virus. Health Minister Christine Elliott says there were 1,254 new cases in Toronto, 593 in Peel Region, and 476 in York Region. The ministry of health says that 642 people are currently in intensive care. More than 112,000 doses of a COVID-19 vaccine were administered in the 24 hour period.

Waterloo Region / WDG Numbers:

Waterloo Region Public Health announced 114 new COVID-19 cases yesterday. That’s an improvement from Tuesday. Hospitalizations increased by one to 31 and there was one new death. The number of active cases shot up by forty-eight to 639.

Public Health of Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph confirmed 57 new cases yesterday. That’s 40 more than on Tuesday. Hospitalizations increased to 8 with 7 in the ICU. There were no new deaths. Of the new cases: 34 were in Guelph, 9 in Dufferin and 13 in Wellington.

Contains files from The Canadian Press

Photo Credit: World Health Organization via Twitter

 

After 9 Podcast - 91.5 The Beat