New Case Numbers Ticked Up A Bit This Weekend – Full COVID19 Update

Over the first weekend of Stage 3 reopening for most of the Province, Ontario’s new cases of COVID19 went up a bit, compared to last week’s numbers. The province reported 164 cases yesterday and 166 on Saturday. 37 of yesterday’s cases were from Windsor-Essex with 48 more from the Peel region. Locally, 28 of Ontario’s 34 public health units are reporting five or fewer cases and 15 of them reported no new cases at all. Over 27,000 tests were done in a 24-hour period. Today Premier Ford is expected to announce if any more Regions are moving to Stage 3 later this week.

HOC Vote Today:

An extension of the Liberal government’s COVID19 wage-subsidy program will be up for a vote today when the House of Commons meets. Finance Minister Bill Morneau says they are hoping to continue the program into mid-December while loosening the requirements so businesses can re-open and employ workers even if trade is slow at first as the COVID19 pandemic continues. A special payment to people with disabilities and extending some legal deadlines for court cases are also on tap to be discussed.

Proposed Changes For Bars:

Toronto’s mayor is calling for some changes to Stage 3 of the pandemic recovery plan. John Tory says masks should be mandatory in indoor restaurants. He also wants customers to have to remain seated, earlier closing hours, and all patrons logged. Much of Ontario has already moved to Stage 3, but Toronto and the surrounding areas are still in Stage 2 for now.

New Cases in New Brunswick:

New Brunswick health officials are reporting their second COVID19 case in less than a week. The newest case involves a person between the ages of 50 and 59, who the government says is self-isolating in the Fredericton area. The person is believed to have been in close contact with a recently reported travel case of the virus. The latest infection brings New Brunswick’s active total to four, with 163 cases considered recovered.

Infections in Young People:

As the rate of COVID19 infections in young people continues to increase, experts say there could be a number of contributing factors. They include lockdown fatigue, an increase in testing or a feeling of invincibility. Numbers from the Public Health Agency of Canada show during the second week of July, the largest proportion of new cases reported was among the 20-29 age group.

Ontario Long Term Care Beds:

The Premier made an announcement about increasing Ontario’s healthcare abilities:

Masks / American Numbers:

Even as the numbers of COVID19 infections and deaths continue to climb in the U.S., there is still pushback on mask-wearing in multiple states. Despite medical experts urging people to cover their face to prevent the spread of the virus, those against the practice say it is their body, and their choice whether or not to wear a mask. U.S. deaths from the coronavirus topped 140,000 on Saturday as cases continued to rise in 42 out of 50 states over the past two weeks, according to a Reuters tally.  Since late June, the US has seen a resurgence in new cases and now, six weeks later, deaths have also begun rising, according to a weekly Reuters analysis of state and county data.  America is losing about 5,000 people to the virus every week. By contrast, Canada has reported total deaths of 8,800 since the pandemic started.

Mandatory Masks Laws:

With the number of COVID19 cases in some U.S. states hitting record highs and the number of available hospital beds dipping lower, more mandatory mask rules are coming in. Colorado has decided to do it. Arkansas has also gone mandatory. Saturday Quebec became the first province to make masks the rule. Yesterday there was a protest outside the premier’s office in Montreal.

U.S. Recovery Bill:

Republicans are expected to unveil their plan to steer the United States out of the coronavirus pandemic – a $1 trillion plan with funds for schools, small businesses and the jobless.  Mitch McConnell, the leader of the Senate, is likely to unveil his proposals in the coming days, ahead of the House’s scheduled break on July 31, and the Senate recess beginning August 7.  Precise figures for the $1 trillion bill are still being decided, but the plan will have a heavy emphasis on education, Axios reported, giving schools increased funds to help prepare for fall re-openings.

The Social Finance Fund:

Ottawa is taking a second look at how quickly it will dole out hundreds of millions of dollars to social services, looking to tap new sources of capital. Social Development Minister Ahmed Hussen’s office says they are launching a review of what’s known as the “social finance fund.” The program is designed to find investors who will front the money for projects addressing social problems while offering rewards if those projects work. Hussen heard a pitch earlier this month to speed up the delivery of hundreds of millions in federal dollars for this socially conscious investment system.

Jack Nicklaus Reveals He And His Wife Had Coronavirus:

Jack Nicklaus and his wife, Barbara, both contracted coronavirus in March and since have tested negative for the virus and positive for the antibodies.  The 80-year-old Nicklaus, founder and host of the Memorial Tournament at Muirfield Village Golf Club, revealed the news during the CBS telecast of yesterday’s final round.  Nicklaus said he and his wife self-isolated at home in south Florida from March 13 to April 20.  “Barbara was asymptomatic, and I had a sore throat and a cough,” Nicklaus told Jim Nantz. “It didn’t last very long, and we were very, very fortunate, very lucky. Barbara and I are both of the age that is an at-risk age.  Our hearts go out to the people who did lose their lives and their families. We were just a couple of the lucky ones, so we feel very strong about working with those who are taking care of those who have COVID-19.”  Nicklaus, who holds the all-time record with 18 major championship victories, revealed that he tested positive on March 13, the same day the PGA Tour canceled the Players Championship and paused its schedule.  “We were home from the 13th of March and we were done with it by about the 20th of April,” he said. “We stayed at home for the next month to make sure we were well.”

Real Estate / Open Houses:

Selling your home is already a complicated endeavour, and the COVID19 pandemic is not making it any easier. After regulators clamped down on showings to prevent the spread of the virus, some provinces are now allowing open houses, with new rules in place. Those includes sanitizing the home, limiting the number of people in the residence at one time, and having visitors sign a guest log to allow for contact tracing. Realtors are also discouraging people from visiting open houses just to look, with no intent to buy, saying a pandemic is not the time for that.

Waterloo / WDG Numbers:

Local COVID19 numbers from Waterloo Region and Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph are not published on weekends. This morning at 10:30am we will learn how the Regions did during the first weekend of Stage 3.

Contains files from The Canadian Press

Photo Credit: CPAC via YouTube screenshot

 

Posted in COVID19, News
Scott Fox and Kat Callaghan