Every year new dating terms enter the pop culture lexicon and prove just how complex modern relationships have become. The world of infidelity is no exception, so Ashley Madison has released its annual discreet dictionary defining the current state of extramarital affairs. The confidential collection of code words narrating the secret lives of cheating husbands and wives took a different turn this year with a global pandemic upending our lives and stay-at-home orders in full effect. Yet with the steady pursuance of covert COVID-connections and uptick in virtual hookups, discreet communication has never been so vital.
The full list includes 10 new and timely terms for cheaters and spells out the current state of extramarital affairs during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Spousally-Distanced– the state of being a safe distance away from your spouse in order to virtually communicate with an affair partner
- Zoom Boom– to engage in virtual sex with an affair partner, specifically over Zoom
- Mutual Maskerbation– in which two people masturbate together while wearing face masks
- Vaccidating– to date only those who have received the COVID-19 vaccine
- Lifting the Veil– to see your affair partner without a face mask for the first time
- Apocalust– brought on by the pandemic, the desire to engage in an in-person affair with a neighbor or coworker and thus increase the chances of being caught and ending a marriage/career
- Smoke Signals– discreet virtual methods of communication between affair partners
- Stockpiling– to assemble a selection of sex partners for after the pandemic
- Masked Rider– one who engages in numerous affairs or “gets around” despite COVID-19
- Stray-At-Home Order– the urge to have a virtual affair while confined to the home during lockdown
In its Love Beyond Lockdown report, Ashley Madison found that married people often seek support from someone other than their spouse in times of high stress. So far that stress has continued into 2021 with the coronavirus pandemic still an ongoing concern impacting every facet of life.
Photo Credit: AshleyMadison.com