Premier Doug Ford is warning that, “turbulent waters” lie ahead in the fight against COVID19. He says modelling data that’s expected to be released tomorrow does not look good. Ford says the health-care system is on the brink of being overwhelmed, so people need to do all they can to limit their contacts and stop the spread of the virus. The premier noted that while officials are working to vaccinate people quickly, mass inoculation won’t happen until “April, May and June.”
Here is the video:
Friends, we are going to see some real turbulent waters over the next few months. Our healthcare system is on the brink of being overwhelmed and we must take every precaution to keep our most vulnerable safe.
Other people’s lives are in your hands. pic.twitter.com/HmFLDPY9P6
— Doug Ford (@fordnation) January 10, 2021
Extreme New Restrictions Are Coming:
Ontario’s current lockdown may be extended and extreme new measures could be put in place if skyrocketing COVID19 rates don’t come down. Premier Ford sounded that warning as daily infections hit a new high on Friday. He said if the numbers continue on their current trajectory, hospital capacity will be stretched even further and many more people will get sick. He did not, however, say what additional measures the province is considering but an announcement is expected tomorrow.
Yesterday Ontario set another new record for daily COVID19 cases. Another 3,945 new cases were reported. There were also 61 new deaths. The recent spike in new cases is being directly linked to social gatherings over the Christmas holidays. Hospital capacity continues to be an issue for the province. 26 more were hospitalized with 6 more in the ICU and 22 more people on a ventilator. 2,496 more resolved cases are marked as resolved yesterday. 113,246 Ontarians have been vaccinated to date.
Ontario is reporting 3,945 cases of #COVID19 and over 62,300 tests completed. Locally, there are 1,160 new cases in Toronto, 641 in Peel, 357 in York Region, 223 in Windsor-Essex County and 220 in Waterloo.
— Christine Elliott (@celliottability) January 10, 2021
An Expansion of the Childcare Program:
Ontario has expanded the list of essential workers who can receive free child-care while thousands of students attend school remotely in the coming weeks. Education Minister Stephen Lecce announced the move on Saturday. The list now includes RCMP officers, custodial and clerical education workers and postal staff. The province announced last week that online classes would continue for southern Ontario students until at least January 25th amid an ongoing surge in COVID19 case cases. In-class learning will resume today in the northern half of the province, where COVID positivity rates are comparatively low. To read the media release: CLICK HERE (You will be redirected)
Here is the announcement:
Our government has announced, in partnership with the Geneva Centre for Autism, an additional $7.5 million in funding for the training of educators across Ontario who support children with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
— Todd Smith (@ToddSmithPC) January 10, 2021
Southern Ontario Schools Not Reopening Today:
Elementary students across northern Ontario return to school today as scheduled. In southern Ontario, however, they will continue learning from home for at least another two weeks. The province announced the extension last week, saying COVID19 is still too prevalent to allow students in the southern part of the province to return to school safely.
With the extension of online learning until January 25, 2021, our government has announced the expansion of the eligibility list for essential workers in need of emergency child care. We are continuing to provide support to those who support us each day. https://t.co/ez0YUpkkUH
— Christine Elliott (@celliottability) January 10, 2021
Quebec Curfew Kicked In This Weekend:
Dozens of tickets and fines were handed out across Quebec Saturday night, as the province began its monthlong COVID19-related curfew. For the next four weeks, only those who fall into certain exempted categories will be allowed out between 8pm and 5am. Quebec City police fined approximately 20 people protesting the curfew, while authorities in Montreal and Sherbrooke each ticketed about a dozen.
No New Cases in Nova Scotia:
Health officials in Nova Scotia are reporting no new cases of COVID19 for the first time in nearly two months. Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Robert Strang says the province is “not out of the woods yet” and says residents must continue following public health guidelines.
— Stephen McNeil (@StephenMcNeil) January 10, 2021
National COVID19 Situation:
There are 660,289 confirmed COVID19 cases in Canada. Broken down, there are: 84,567 active, 558,772 resolved, 16,950 deaths. There were 7,817 new cases Sunday from 74,131 completed tests, for a positivity rate of 11 per cent. The rate of active cases is 224.98 per 100,000 people. Over the past seven days, there have been a total of 56,775 new cases. The seven-day rolling average of new cases is 8,111. There were 117 new reported deaths Sunday. Over the past seven days there have been a total of 1,085 new reported deaths. The seven-day rolling average of new reported deaths is 155. The seven-day rolling average of the death rate is 0.41 per 100,000 people. The overall death rate is 45.09 per 100,000 people. There have been 14,584,109 tests completed.
Investigating the Origins of COVID19:
Experts from the World Health Organization are due to arrive in China this week to investigate the origins of the COVID19 pandemic. Beijing issued a one-sentence announcement saying the experts would arrive on Thursday and meet with Chinese counterparts, but it gave no other details. It wasn’t immediately clear whether they would be travelling to the central Chinese city of Wuhan, where the coronavirus was first detected in late 2019.
Waterloo Region / WDG Numbers:
Yesterday Region of Waterloo Public Health announced 203 new cases in the Region. There are now 1,087 active cases with 23 hospitalized. This is the first time Waterloo Region has had over 1,000 active cases. The death toll rose by 1 yesterday to 175. In Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph there were 79 new cases on Friday. The Public Health Unit now has 5 hospitalized with 476 active cases.
Photo Credit: Doug Ford via Twitter