With the federal deficit closing in on $400-billion-dollars this fiscal year, the Trudeau government says there is even more spending ahead. The government says it’s to help Canadians get through the economic storm created by the COVID19 pandemic. The fall economic update delivered by Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland looks beyond the pandemic, to where the Liberals see the economy going a few years from now. The government’s fall economic update proposes to send extra child-benefit payments to families with young children next year as well as cash for skills training and to create new jobs. The federal wage subsidy will also continue with the government paying up to 75% of wages. The statement also plans to inject another $100-billion dollars into the economy over three years once the pandemic is over. Freeland says her numbers are possible thanks to low interest rates.
Here is the full fiscal update:
Here is reaction from Erin O’Toole, leader of the official opposition:
There were 1,746 new COVID19 cases reported by the province yesterday, along with 8 new deaths. 32 more people were hospitalized in the 24-hour period. 12 more people are now in intensive care. 17 more people are on ventilators. As has been the case on many Sunday’s since September, testing numbers were down. Only 39,400 were processed for the report. Broken down: 622 new cases were in Toronto, 390 in Peel Region and 217 in York Region.
Ontario is reporting 1,746 cases of #COVID19. Locally, there are 622 new cases in Toronto, 390 in Peel and 217 in York Region. There are 1,320 more resolved cases and over 39,400 tests completed.
Today’s numbers will be available at 10:30 a.m. at https://t.co/ypmgZbVRvn.
— Christine Elliott (@celliottability) November 30, 2020
Ontario Parents are Getting Another a Payment from the Province:
Premier Ford has announced $380 million in funding for parents, guardians and families facing additional expenses related to education and COVID19. They are getting a one-time payment to help offset the costs of childcare, workbooks, school supplies, technology and other resources. Parents will get $200 per child under 0-12 years old. It will be $250 for parents of anyone 21 or under with special needs.
— Christine Elliott (@celliottability) November 30, 2020
A Fourth Vaccine:
Another potential COVID19 vaccine, the fourth, has popped up on the radar. Federal Health Minister Patty Hajdu says the shot from Johnson & Johnson is now under consideration for Health Canada’s approval. It would also be the first shot that would only require one dose to confer immunity instead of two. If the standards for safety and effectiveness are met, the Canadian government has a deal to buy 10 million doses — and an option for up to 28-million more.
Join “The Road to a Vaccine,” as Lisa Ling speaks with @SeanPenn, cofounder of @CoreResponse, plus top #COVID19 and health experts on how countries have successfully battled the pandemic and the latest in vaccine development. Watch LIVE Tuesday at 12PM ET: https://t.co/RB9HkP0VMs pic.twitter.com/KhTHdx487A
— Johnson & Johnson (@JNJNews) November 30, 2020
Doug Wants Answers About Vaccine Delivery:
Premier Doug Ford is demanding a clear delivery date for the province’s share of COVID19 vaccines. Doug Ford says he’s been asking the federal government for clarity, but so far does not have any. The premier says he’s set to speak to Pfizer, one of the drugmakers that has entered into an agreement with Canada. Ford says he keeps seeing reports that other countries are on track to start COVID19 immunizations soon.
Here is Premier Ford’s news conference from yesterday:
Canadian vaccine Approval:
Health Canada has revealed it should be ready to approve another vaccine for COVID19 before the end of December. Last week, Dr. Supriya Sharma, the chief medical adviser at Health Canada, said the emergency review of Pfizer’s vaccine was the most advanced, and that Canada should be ready to greenlight it when the US does. That is expected to happen around December 10th.
New Survey on Vaccines:
A new poll suggests most Canadians aren’t currently worried that people in other countries might get a COVID19 vaccine first. The survey conducted by Leger and the Association for Canadian Studies found that some 48 per cent say they are not concerned, while an additional 10 per cent they don’t care at all or are not planning to get vaccinated anyway. Only 37 per cent were worried that Canada might not receive doses of a new COVID vaccine as early as the US.
Workplace Infections in York Region:
York Region Public Health says that there has been a major COVID19 outbreak at State Windows Corporation in Vaughan. At least 62 cases have been linked to the window manufacturer since November 10. As the workplace is not open to the general public, the risk is considered low to York Region residents. Public health authorities say the majority of the cases linked to the outbreak live in Toronto or Peel Region.
Canadians Are Snatching Up Cottages as Homes to Live in Full Time:
Royal LePage says the pandemic is pushing up home prices more than 11 per cent in cottage country regions across the country, as buyers look to move there full-time. Agents say lockdown periods have sparked an interest for many people living in big cities to relocate to the suburbs and cottage country, where they can have more living space. One agent in the Muskoka region says the most common question used to be whether the property faced west, but now it’s all about internet quality.
New Brunswick Announces 6 New Cases:
New Brunswick reported six new cases of COVID19 yesterday, with five of them remaining under investigation. Two of those cases involve people in their 20’s in the Moncton region, two are in the Saint John area and the fifth is in the Bathurst region. Health officials say the case of an infected person in their 60’s in the Fredericton area is travel related. The number of active cases in the province is 120 with no one in hospital.
NL Confirms another Case:
Newfoundland and Labrador has announced one new confirmed case of COVID19 yesterday to increase their active cases to 36. Health officials say the woman aged 20 to 39 is a household member of a previous known travel case in the Eastern Health region. They also say an investigation has determined the source of a case reported Sunday is also travel-related. They say a person who is not a resident of Newfoundland and Labrador came to the province from Ontario after being granted a travel exemption.
The Nunavut Lockdown Gets Lifted Tomorrow:
Nunavut will start lifting a two-week lockdown on Wednesday. Dr. Michael Patterson, chief public health officer, says 73 people have recovered from COVID19 so far. He says 108 cases remain active.
Dr Fauci on Child Vaccinations:
Dr. Anthony Fauci said Sunday that it could be months before children get a COVID19 vaccination. He said it’s important to see how the vaccine performs with adults before administering it to kids. “It’s going to be months. And the reason is traditionally when you have a situation like a new vaccine, you want to make sure, because children as well as pregnant women, are vulnerable,” Fauci said on Meet the Press.
New York Hospitals are now a Concern:
New York is dangerously close to overwhelming its hospital system with new COVID19 cases — and preparing to recruit retired doctors and nurses to the front lines again, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said yesterday. “It’s a new phase in the war against COVID,’’ Cuomo said — adding that daily coronavirus hospitalizations statewide are nearly quadruple what they were in June. Every hospital in the state must begin compiling a list of retired doctors and nurses that they can draw from because there are already staffing issues in some areas, Cuomo said.
To all the “tough guys" who don't want to wear a mask or worry about COVID.
I have a message for you.
Exhausted nurses & doctors. EMTs & ambulance drivers.
THEY'RE the tough ones.
Stop making their job harder.
— Andrew Cuomo (@NYGovCuomo) December 1, 2020
A Vaccination Passport:
The future of flying during the coronavirus means carrying a passport to show proof of vaccination against COVID19. The International Air Transport Association is in the process of finalizing a digital COVID19 passport that would include information about a traveler’s COVID19 testing and vaccinations that would be verified by labs, airlines and government agencies, according to a new report.
Waterloo Region / WDG Numbers:
Public Health of Waterloo Region announced 73 new COVID19 cases yesterday. The total number of active cases is now the highest it’s ever been at 554 cases. There are currently 27 people being treated in hospital with 8 in the ICU.
In the Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health Unit, 76 new infections were announced yesterday. That includes 27 in Guelph, 26 in Wellington and 17 in Dufferin County. The number of active cases has climbed to 174 with now 6 people in hospital for COVID19 treatment.
Waterloo Region Infections:
- Walmart Canada says three employees at the store on Pinebush Rd in Cambridge have tested positive for COVID19. The store has undergone a deep cleaning.
- Three students at St. Bernadette Catholic Elementary School in Kitchener have tested positive. An outbreak has been declared.
- A student at St. Michael Catholic Elementary School has tested positive for COVID19. That is the school’s second case.
- One student at St. Mary’s High School in Kitchener has been confirmed with COVID19.
- A staff member at Eastwood Collegiate Institute in Kitchener has tested positive and is now self isolating.
Waterloo Region Mennonites Affected By New Public Health Order:
Waterloo Region’s Medical Officer of Health has issued another Section 22 order. This one is for the members of the Old Order, Markham, Old Colony and David Martin Mennonite communities, to help slow the spread of COVID19. The order immediately prohibits social gatherings at private residences with anyone outside of a person’s own household and begins to shut down school and church activities by Wednesday. Health officials are concerned about the rising number of COVID cases among members of the Mennonite community. They will face big fines for violating the order.
Guelph Celebrating a Good Accomplishment:
Businesses in Guelph have reason to be proud. The city says that over the weekend 106 businesses were inspected and zero charges were laid. By-law says most had hand sanitizer out, space for physical distancing and employees and customers wearing masks.
No charges issued. Keep it up #Guelph! Our bylaw team visited 106 stores this weekend. Most had hand sanitizer out, space for physical distancing, employees and customers wearing masks. report a concern here: https://t.co/K12LsEw016 #COVID19Guelph @WDGPublicHealth pic.twitter.com/aP9DDjXPeg
— City of Guelph (@cityofguelph) November 30, 2020
Contains files from The Canadian Press
Photo Credit: CPAC via YouTube screenshot