Toronto Police are looking for a man who’s wanted for assaulting an officer. Police say the officer was punched in the head several times after she conducted a traffic stop in the Weston Road and Lawrence Avenue West area on Saturday afternoon. Police say the assailant fled the scene on foot and that the officer was later treated for serious but non life-threatening injuries. Investigators say 31-year-old Dwayne Banfield of Toronto is wanted on several charges related to the incident.
Photo Credit: Toronto Police – Supplied
From a Toronto Police media release:
It is alleged that:
– on Saturday, March 9, 2019, at approximately 3:20 p.m., a Toronto Police Officer conducted a traffic stop in the area of Weston Road and Lawrence Avenue West area
– the male driver exited the vehicle, approached the female officer and assaulted her by punching her several times about the head
– he was last seen fleeing on foot, southbound on Weston Road
– the officer received medical treatment for her injuries, which were serious but non-life-threatening
The man has been identified as Dwayne Banfield, 31, of Toronto, he is wanted for:
1. Assault Police Officer Causing Bodily Harm
2. Escape Lawful Custody
3. Obstruct Police
4. Drive Motor Vehicle, no validation on plate
He is described as 5’7″ to 5’9″, with a thin build, and short braids. He was wearing a bucket-style hat, possibly with white and blue colouring, a camouflage coat with a vertical zipper on the left upper arm, a name plate over the left chest bone, an unknown chain on left shoulder, and green pants.
He is to be considered violent. If seen, do not approach, call 9-1-1 immediately.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-1200, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.