Yesterday hundreds gathered on the lawn of Queen’s Park to protest the changes to autism funding that kick in on April 1st. In advance of the protest we were told that MPP Lisa MacLeod, the Minister responsible for autism funding, would not attend due to threats to her personal safety. While some critics were skeptical, it turns out threats had been made. Ottawa police say a woman has been charged with making threats against the provincial Social Services Minister. The accused faces three counts of uttering threats and one count of criminal harassment. The premier’s office says the woman sent threats to MacLeod via email and telephone calls over the last few weeks.
About the changes to Autism funding: From CTV News:
Families say the changes will leave children without access to the level of treatment they need. The revamped program scraps the model from the previous Liberal government, and aims to clear the wait list of 23,000 children by providing direct funding. The government has described the program as means-tested. Those with an adjusted annual net family income of under $55,000 will be eligible for the full amounts, with funding determined on a sliding scale up to a maximum of a $250,000 income. For a family whose child enters the program at the minimum age of two, a total of up to $140,000 will be available over the 16 years the child is eligible for support. Families will receive up to $20,000 a year until their child turns six, with funding dropping to $5,000 every year after that until they turn 18.
Photo Credit: Lisa MacLeod via Twitter
— Lisa MacLeod (@MacLeodLisa) February 7, 2019