Dog Swallows 4-Inch Kebab Skewer

Dog Swallows 4-Inch Kebab Skewer

A dog amazed vets by surviving for eight weeks with a 4-inch wooden kebab skewer inside her.  Bear the German Shephard started limping after the stick passed all the way through to her leg.  An ultrasound eventually revealed the skewer, which had missed all her vital organs, lodged in the 10-month-old, which was surgically removed.  Vet Riccardo Minelli of Abington Park Veterinary Surgery, in Northampton, said: “As soon as Bear came in and I did an ultrasound scan I could see the foreign body.  Although the leg was massively swollen, I had still been expecting something like a grass seed, not anything as big as the kebab stick.  There was no wound or entry point, so it was hard to imagine how something like that had got in.  The imaging showed that it was very close to large abdominal vessels and the femoral artery.  I realized that surgery was required as there was a risk of hemorrhage if we tried to remove it non-invasively.”  Bear’s owner Richard Davidson said they had no idea how the dog swallowed the stick – but the most likely explanation was she ate it while trying to steal a meaty snack during a back garden barbecue.  An initial X-ray showed no indication of a fracture but highlighted the obstruction.  Richard was stunned at the news of the find, but delighted Bear came through the surgery well.

Photo: Riccardo Minelli via timesnownews.com

After 9 Podcast - 91.5 The Beat