Valentine’s Day is now less than 48-hours away. It’s expected that millions around the world will visit their local florist to purchase flowers for their significant other. Roses are typically very popular on Valentine’s Day. However, the various varieties of roses have different meanings. This is a handy list of what each rose means:
- Red – Red roses say “I love you” and also stand for respect and courage.
- White – White roses have several meanings: “You’re heavenly,” reverence and humility, innocence and purity, “I’m worthy of you.” They could also indicate a secret crush or silent admiration.
- Lavender – Lavender roses mean love at first sight.
- Pink – Deep pink roses stand for gratitude and appreciation. They also say “Thank you.” Light pink roses indicate grace, sympathy and admiration.
- Orange – Orange roses indicate enthusiasm and desire.
- Yellow – Yellow roses signify joy and gladness. Historically, they meant a decrease of love and infidelity.
- Pale – Pale-colored roses signify friendship.
- Red and yellow – Red and yellow roses mixed together say “Congratulations!”
- Red and white – Red and white roses mixed together, or white roses with red edges, signify unity.
- Yellow and orange – Yellow and orange roses together imply passionate thoughts.
- Single rose – denotes perpetual love.
- Two roses – Two roses of any color taped or wired together to form a single stem signal a commitment or coming marriage.
- Rose leaves – Rose leaves are a symbol of hope.
Men and women hoping to get a little bedroom action this Valentine’s Day might want to forget about extravagant gifts this year and give their loved ones flowers instead. A survey found more than 25% of respondents would be more likely to sleep with someone if they received flowers for Valentine’s Day. The survey, performed by leading online flower delivery service Serenata Flowers, asked more than 1,100 people if they would be more likely to sleep with someone who sent them flowers on Valentine’s. Men and women responded similarly, with 34% of women and 36% of men saying they would.
Photo Credit: Karen’s Flowers – Milton, Ontario